We Honor Veterans
The EvergreenHealth Foundation proudly supports EvergreenHealth Hospice’s “We Honor Veterans” Program, a collaborative effort developed by the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization in concert with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Your donation funds special training and resources that help our Hospice Care Team meet the unique needs of our military veterans while providing them the best possible care. This ensures that these American heroes and their families are shown the respect, dignity and honor they deserve during their end-of-life transition.
Donations to the Foundation’s We Honor Veterans fund help EvergreenHealth Hospice Care:
- Provide compassionate Hospice care and comfort to veterans and their families. Last year, we served 508 veterans and we are on pace to serve that many or more this year.
- Serve more than 500 patients at the Wockner Hospice Care Center and 2,000+ patients with over 82,000 hospice home care visits. At any given time 15% to 25% of our overall Hospice census is made up of veterans.
- Support the creation of hand-crafted, military-themed quilts to give to each veteran and supplies other ceremonial items such as pins and service certificates.
- Train caregivers how to best meet the unique needs of service members by using respectful inquiry, compassionate listening, grateful acknowledgement, and techniques in comforting patients with a history of military service and possible physical or psychological trauma.
- Train volunteers to support patients and their families as part of the Hospice interdisciplinary team. Currently, 178 dedicated volunteers are working in safe and creative ways throughout this pandemic to increase patient/family comfort and safety by making support calls, facilitating online grief and bereavement groups, and making comfort and dignity items.
- Add enhancements to our program including additional training, veteran volunteers, emergency needs funds, and supplies such as military legacy books, challenge coins in partnership with Alderwood Terrace Rotary and memorial flags.
Learn more about EvergreenHealth Hospice’s We Honor Veterans program and the impact of your giving in the video below.